7.02.2006

Serbia & Montenegro vs. Cote d'Ivoire

Okay, I've got some major catching up to do here. The second to last match I took in on June 21st was on paper, a very meaningless match. Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast had already been eliminated from the tournament but I had a good feeling that both teams still had something left to prove. In fact, it turned out to be the most exciting non-US matchup I attended. Soccer fans, don't forget Ivory Coast; even without Drogba, they are the real deal. They are quick, highly skilled on the ball, and extremely athletic. Drogba, Ivory Coast's marquee player, was ineligible for the match on yellow card accumulation, but he was hardly missed.

Now, since it's been some time since the match, unfortunately, I don't remember many of the major play-by-play details, but I'll give it my best.

It rained for most of the match, which made the pitch play fast. I was amazed at how each team was still able to handle the ball in the less than ideal conditions. Cote d'Ivoire's last goal was on penalty kicks, which may lead some to believe that the win was undeserved, but that's the farthest from the truth. Ivory Coast was the better team in the second half and a goal would have fallen regardless of the reckless Serbian play that resulted in the penalty kick.

3-2 was the final score and another African nation made their exit, this being the most impressive by far. Ghana would be the final African nation and the only to make it to the knockout stage of the tournament. Ahem, more on that later.

Here are some pics from the match:

Allianz Arena lit up in a neutral color:


My perspective of the field. I had the "obstructed view" ticket category. The obstruction was the net that caught any errant, $120 would-be souvenir soccer balls from reaching the crowd:

National anthems:

Again, proof I was there. Brought along the UGA visor, you know, to represent:

Kickoff:

Action shots, including an Ivory Coast PK. Notice the Serbian fan holding up three fingers. During their national anthem, all Serbian fans held up their arms in the air like this:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home