6.20.2006

Düsseldorf Stay

The 14th I had some freetime in Düsseldorf, so I took to the streets. Timo hooked me up with a map of the city and set me loose. I have been suffering from a mad head cold since I arrived in Germany and I knew I was on my last tank, but I decided to use my limited time in the city (it was really nice outside) instead of taking it easy on the couch. So I took off to the Altstadt (old town) to take a look around and then took a walk along the Rhein with no real destination in mind. Noticing my energy level already tanking, I sat down on the bank right before a cool suspension bridge. I took this shot right as a (natural gas?) barge passed by. If you look closely, you can see sheep grazing on the opposite bank:




Düsseldorf's banks are lined with examples of really cool architecture. Here's a sample of the buildings:


Turns out, my destination was a "beach resort" themed bar that was open early during the day for the great weather. It was located near the water and they had brought in beach sand to create the authentic feeling of being at the beach. I should have taken more picture because they had neat beach huts, beach lounge chairs, etc. Here's another picture of the cool buildings taken from the beach bar where I was guzzling an ice cold Coke:



By this time, my body told me to take a long break, so I tried to nap in my seat outside at the beach bar but to no avail. I just can't fall asleep sweating in the sun. Anyhow, I SLOWLY made my way back to Timo's apartment with the SOLE intent of crashing on the couch. I didn't care if I was wasting vacation time. My body was taking over and demanded rest.

Here's a picture I took (on another one of my breaks) of the Altstadt's river side facade taken from under the suspension bridge seen above:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home