6.20.2006

Ecuador vs. Costa Rica

On the 14th, I met up with Timo in Bochum, where his client office is, after he got off work and we took to the Autobahn for Hamburg in advance of the Ecuador-Costa Rica match. Timo luckily has a company car for the project he's on AND happened to have a meeting the next day in Hamburg. Soooo, we got a free ride to Hamburg! Like all Americans, I love the Autobahn and it didn't take much to convince Timo to let me drive since he had had somewhat of a tiring week. So, with the help of Frau GPS, I piloted our Audi A3 turbo diesel to the port city while Timo snoozed away. It's AMAZING how different the driving culture is in Germany. There I was, "cruising" along at 180 kmh (approximately 113 mph) and Timo doesn't think twice about taking a nap! Naturally, I only hit 180 maybe three times and was only able to maintain that speed for 3 minutes, tops. The Autobahn was fairly crowded that day, so the natural flow kept you from doing anything stupid :) One other note, I simply love that Germans actually respect the "left lane is for passing only rule." If you approach someone in the left lane 99.9999% of the time they'll merge over immediately.

Our total travel time between Düsseldorf and Hamburg was about 4 hours and we had about an hour to spare before the Germany-Poland match. We met up at a bar with some of Timo's friends and spent the evening there. Germany scored the winner in the waning minutes. Woohoo. Hats off to Poland for giving them a run for their money.
They next day, Timo and I slept in and unfortunately had to part our ways. He was off for his client meeting and I had to head to the main train station to store my junk before heading off to the Ecuador-Costa Rica match at AOL Arena. My train back to Munich left later on that night. Many thanks to you, Timo and Andrea, for hosting a sneezing, congested, coughing, and aching American in your wonderful apartment for 4 days. I really enjoyed myself.
Here are the pictures from that day's match:



I was hoping that Costa Rica, a fellow CONCACAF member, would put down a very creative Ecuador side, but Costa Rica ended up playing a very uninspired match and was sent home from the tournament with a 0-2 result.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home